Top 10 Publishing tips for your book in India
If you are a new writer and looking to gather information for publishing in India, here are top ten facts and news that may help you define your way into publishing in India.
- India has more than 35 languages, but a majority of the population now speak English. In recent times, the number has been growing and is expected to grow as educated class of people is increasing and the importance of learning English (as it is recognized internationally) has been growing.
- Indians are not finicky in the quality of paper, so the books are printed cheaply in India and are sold at different places, from high glitzy malls to small stands on a railway platform.
- Self-publishing is still an emerging market, a lot of books are mainly printed, distributed by a publisher.
- Mobile ebook apps may be the upcoming trend in the market of ebook publishing because a lot of people in India own smartphones ranging from less costly to the costliest ones.
- Book Marketing in India is still done the traditional route, media coverage is the best way to get your work to the audience.
- Book promotions are done through media interviews and through the literary festivals.
- The biggest literary festival is held in Jaipur every year and there are other smaller ones that happen in other parts of the country.
- Top niches are higher education books or self-help books and the next ones in the list are mythological stories.
- Self-publishing is emerging, but most of the books are published by the publishing houses and people still read the physical books more than using the devices like kindle or mobile apps.
- Authors in India don’t get rich except for a few authors that make their way into International publishing and do speaking engagements globally.